The reception of “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3” has been notably poor, which doesn’t come as a surprise to many. Various sources highlight the shortcomings of the game:
- IGN: They rated the game at 5.4, indicating a mediocre reception. Their review suggests that the main story can be completed in about 5 hours, with a total gameplay time of 11 hours for those who engage in all aspects of the game. This relatively short duration could be a factor contributing to the game’s disappointing reception
- Eurogamer: Chris Tapsell, the Deputy Editor at Eurogamer, remarked that the game appeared to be “clearly rushed to market.” This rushed development might have resulted in a lack of depth and polish, which is often critical for a successful game launch
- Press Start Australia: Their review expressed disappointment, stating that the campaign “misses the mark on almost every level.” They pointed out the uninteresting story and a downplayed villain, which are crucial elements of the “Call of Duty” series. This highlights a lack of engaging narrative and character development, which are key components in maintaining player interest and satisfaction
- Screen Rant: Despite acknowledging the game’s fantastic visuals, they criticized the gameplay for feeling dated and failing to advance the series. This critique suggests that the game might not have met the evolving expectations of the series’ fanbase, particularly in terms of gameplay innovation and modernization
- Eurogamer.net: Players with early access to the game expressed their dissatisfaction and outrage on social media, citing issues with the game’s campaign. One player described their experience as “a couple of lackluster raid episodes put together,” failing to capture the essence of a “Call of Duty” campaign. This sentiment was echoed by other players who found the game’s direction disappointing and felt that it signified the decline of the franchise. Complaints were also raised about the game’s combat mechanics, with some players struggling with aiming due to sight issues
These reviews and player feedback collectively indicate that “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3” has not lived up to expectations, with criticisms ranging from its short campaign and lackluster story to dated gameplay and problematic combat mechanics. The game’s rushed development and failure to innovate seem to have contributed significantly to its poor reception.